Los Angeles, CA
“Successful engineering is all about understanding how things break or fail.”
As a Backend Engineer at Jumpcut, you will be responsible for developing a variety of services that will enable us to push the boundaries of online education. This is a role that will require you to take ownership and to strive for excellency through means such as high code coverage.
Since we are a young company, your work will impact users in a wide range of ways. One week you might be developing a transcoding pipeline for video delivery, and the next week you might be mapping out the schema to provide new community features.
We are looking for someone who can implement big picture ideas that will shift the paradigm of online education, while managing the small details that will impact performance and team velocity.
- Lead our backend development to define solutions to our problems and to achieve goals
- Architect the backend of Jumpcut to meet current and future requirements, including performance and fault tolerance
- Develop API endpoints and various backend services
- Define and help formalize conventions from documentation to testing strategies
- Participate in code review
- A great cultural fit - read our blog post
- 2+ years of software development experience
- Deep understanding of data structures, algorithms and OOP
- SQL ninja with good understanding of query planning, query optimization, indexes and database scalability
- Extensive experience data modelling and implementation with any relational database
- Good understanding of asynchronous and parallel programming principles
- Obsessed with lifelong learning and education
APPLY TO THIS JOB